Saturday, April 2, 2011

Rex Murphy's "5 Simple Rules" - What Canadian (World?) Politics Needs

It's Canadian Election time, and although this is not really Latin American-specific, I still think these rules would benefit political debate generally. As a political science student, I like to believe that people should dispassionately assess the merits of policies given the supporting evidence, and vote accordingly.

I'm generally a fan of Rex Murphy, but I don't think that influences my opinion that his 5 Simple Rules is one of the best ideas for Canadian Politics. I hope these rules resonate with many other Canadian's because they certainly do with me. I particularly love his rule about dropping the practice of politician's painting their rivals as anti-democratic devils and themselves as all that is good and true about Canada. Same as I think that its unfair to depict Ignatieff as an international American-sympathizing elite, its also unfair to paint Harper as Bush 2.0 . Both of these false frameworks are crude propaganda tools that further obscure the reality of what's going on, and are insulting to anyone's intelligence.
 
Follow the link belong to hear Rex Murphy's beautiful recommendations that ought to be turned into Canadian Canon law!

Rex Murphy's 5 Simple Rules

No comments:

Post a Comment